How do I update the firmware of the camera?
You can update Olympus digital cameras to the newest firmware using Olympus Workspace image editing software. Follow the steps below:
The Olympus Workspace software is available as a free download. If the software is not installed on the computer, download and install it referring to the following question:
How do I download the free Olympus Workspace software?
[Applying the Firmware]
To update the firmware of your camera, follow the instructions below:
- - Log on to your computer using an account with Administrator privileges.
- - Connect the computer to the Internet. Olympus recommends using a hard-wired connection, if available, to limit the risk of service interruption during the firmware update. A wireless connection may also be used.
- - Make sure the camera has sufficient power to complete the operation. Use freshly charged batteries or the optional AC adapter. (Adapter not available for all models.)
- - Remove the memory card from the digital camera.
- Connect your digital camera to your computer using the bundled USB cable.
Your camera may display a selection menu on the LCD.
Select Storage and press the camera's [OK] button to continue.
(Depending on the model, this may be either STORAGE or PC.)
- Double-click the "Olympus Workspace" icon.
- In Camera, click Update.
* If the User Account Control window is displayed, click Yes to proceed the installation.
- OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater starts.
The updater checks via Internet if newer firmware versions are available.
Click Next to proceed.
- If newer firmware versions are available, they will be displayed in a dialog box.
To see what will be changed by applying an update, select it from the list and click Details.
To apply a selected firmware update, click Update and then, on the next screen, Yes.
(If you click No, the update will be canceled.)
- - If the latest version is already applied, you will see the following message: "You are already using the latest firmware. There is no need to update."
- - Add Display Language is displayed if the connected camera can add an alternative display language via Internet. If you click Add Display Language, you can add a display language for the camera (or you can exchange the already added language for any one of the other languages available).
- Carefully read the Software License Agreement. If you accept the terms, click Agree to proceed.
- The firmware is transferred from the computer to your camera, and then the update starts in your camera.
The firmware update is completed when the digital camera's LCD displays "OK".
After you see the camera's LCD displays "OK", click Next.
Do not disconnect the camera from the computer until the LCD on the camera displays "OK". The firmware update is not complete until the camera displays "OK".
Disconnecting the camera before the firmware update completes may render the camera inoperable.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the camera and computer, and then click Close.
Regarding the firmware update for E-M5
If the firmware of your E-M5 is version 1.0 - 1.2, you are required to update the camera twice. When the first update is completed, click Close to close the Digital Camera Updater.
Then start the second update in the same procedure using the Olympus Workspace.