How do I update the firmware of the cameras that have the backup function?
You can update Olympus digital cameras to the newest firmware using Olympus Workspace image editing software. Follow the steps below:
The Olympus Workspace software is available as a free download. If the software is not installed on the computer, download and install it referring to the following question:
How do I update the firmware of the camera?
This page explains how to update the firmware of the E-M1X, E-M1MarkII, E-M5 MarkII (firmware ver. 3.0 or later) and PEN-F (firmware ver. 2.0 or later) camera that have the backup function.
Click the following question to see instructions for updating other models:
How do I update the firmware of the camera?
Procedure for Updating the Firmware
- Saving the camera settings to the computer (Step 7)
- Updating the firmware of the camera (Step 7 to 9)
- Reloading the camera settings (Step 10)
Camera settings are reset depending on the camera model and current firmware version. When updating the firmware of the camera that have backup function using Olympus Workspace, the camera settings are saved to the computer before the updating starts and reloaded to the camera after the update.
[Applying the Firmware]
- - Log on to your computer using an account with Administrator privileges.
- - Connect the computer to the Internet. Olympus recommends using a hard-wired connection, if available, to limit the risk of service interruption during the firmware update. A wireless connection may also be used.
- - Make sure the camera has sufficient power to complete the operation. Use freshly charged batteries or the optional AC adapter. (Adapter not available for all models.)
- - Remove the memory card from the digital camera.
- - A camera's firmware cannot be returned to an earlier version once it has been updated.
To update the firmware of your camera, follow the instructions below:
|Precautions when updating firmware in E-M1X
- Be sure to have a fully charged battery in the camera.
Without sufficient power, the update may fail or will not start.
- It takes time to complete the update depending on the internet speed due to the large file size for the firmware.
- Do not disconnect the USB cable during the update until the OK icon is displayed.
It takes about 5 minutes until the OK icon is displayed after the writing icon is displayed on the monitor of the camera.
- Camera settings (including date and time) will be reset when you update the firmware of your camera to version 1.1.
Camera menus are displayed in English after the update.
- Connect your digital camera to your computer using the bundled USB cable.
Your camera may display a selection menu on the LCD.
Select Storage and press the camera's [OK] button to continue.
- Double-click the "Olympus Workspace" icon.
- In Camera, click Update.
* If the User Account Control window is displayed, click Yes to proceed the installation.
- OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater starts.
The updater checks via Internet if newer firmware versions are available.
Click Next to proceed.
- If newer firmware versions are available, they will be displayed in a dialog box.
To see what will be changed by applying an update, select it from the list and click Details.
To apply a selected firmware update, click Update and then, on the next screen, Yes.
(If you click No, the update will be canceled.)
If the latest version is already applied, you will see the following message: "You are already using the latest firmware. There is no need to update."
- Carefully read the Software License Agreement. If you accept the terms, click Agree to proceed.
- The current settings of the camera will be saved to the computer.
Click OK to start saving the camera settings to the computer, and then the new firmware will be downloaded to the computer and transferred to your camera.
- After the firmware is transferred to your camera, the update starts in your camera.
Wait until the digital camera‘s LCD displays "OK".
Do not disconnect the camera from the computer until the LCD on the camera displays "OK".
The firmware update is not complete until the camera displays "OK".
Disconnecting the camera before the firmware update completes may render the camera inoperable.
Firmware update for E-M1X:
The LCD displays as follows while updating:
It takes time to complete the update for E-M1X.
Do not disconnect the USB cable during the update until the OK icon is displayed. It takes about 5 minutes until the OK icon is displayed on the monitor of the camera.
The Digital Camera Updater displays as follows:
- The firmware update is completed when the digital camera's LCD displays "OK".
Leave the USB cable connected to the camera and computer, and turn the camera to Off, and then to On again.
- The camera settings, saved in step 7, are reloaded to the camera.
Select the check boxes in the Digital Camera Updater display ("Confirmed that update is complete.", "Camera has been turned off and back on again."), and then click Next (*). The camera settings are reloaded from the computer to the camera.
*Next can be clicked after the two check boxes are selected.
- Firmware update is complete. Click Close to close the Digital Camera Updater.