How to enable camera drivers on Mac with Apple M1 (OM Workspace) /
I cannot update the camera on a Mac with Apple M1. "The operations of the applications are limited." or "Failed to communicate with the camera." is displayed. What should I do?
After installing OM Workspace (Olympus Workspace) to a Mac with Apple M1, you see the message "System Extension Blocked". It means that the OM Digital Solutions camera driver is blocked by the OS.
Also, the firmware update for your camera will not be performed if you try the update without the OM Digital Solutions camera driver installed. You see the message "The operations of the applications are limited." or "Failed to communicate with the camera." after installing OM Workspace.
In order to enable the camera driver, you need to change the security settings on the Mac side to allow the required extension.
Follow the steps below to allow the required extension.
- Change the security settings on the startup option screen.
- In Security & Privacy settings, enable the camera driver.
- Even if the camera driver is not enabled, you can transfer image data to Mac because the camera is recognized as storage (driver).
1. Change the security settings on the startup option screen.
Shut down (turn off) the Mac (computer) system.
Press and hold the power button on your Mac to start it up (turn on the power), and click Options on the startup option screen.
In Option, click Utilities and then Startup Security Utility.
Select the system you want to use and click Security Policy.
Select Reduced Security and Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers. Click OK and reboot the Mac (computer).
2. Enable camera drivers in Security & Privacy
Open the Security & Privacy window after rebooting the computer. In General, set the followings:
- Under Allow apps downloaded from, click App Store and identified developers.
- Click Allow next to System software from developer "OM Digital Solutions Corpration" was blocked from loading.
The Mac (computer) restarts after the message "Rebuilding system extension cache" is displayed.
Camera drivers are enabled after restarting the Mac. The camera update function for OM Workspace is available.