You can download the newest firmware to your camera through the Internet.
Please follow the steps below:
[ Downloading and Installing the OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater ]
The OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater is required for updating the firmware of your digital camera.
Click the following OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater tab to download and install the updater.
If you are using a previous version of the updater, it will be overwritten to the latest version.
(The procedure for updating the firmware is explained using Digital Camera Updater version 2.0.)
This page explains how to update the firmware of the PEN-F (firmware ver. 2.0 or later) and E-M1 Mark II camera that have backup function.
Click the following question to see instructions for updating other models:
How do I update the firmware of the camera?
Procedure for Updating the Firmware
- Saving the camera settings to the computer (Step 7)
- Updating the firmware of the camera (Step 7 to 9)
- Reloading the camera settings (Step 10)
Camera settings are reset depending on the firmware update. When updating the firmware of the camera that have backup function using Digital Camera Updater, the camera settings are saved to the computer before the updating starts and they are reloaded to the camera after the update.
[ Downloading and Applying the Firmware ]
- Log on to your computer using an account with Administrator privileges.
- Connect the computer to the Internet. Olympus recommends using a hard-wired connection, if available, to limit the risk of service interruption during the firmware update. A wireless connection may also be used.
- Make sure the camera has sufficient power to complete the operation. Use freshly charged batteries or the optional AC adapter. (Adapter not available for all models.)
- Remove the memory card from the digital camera.
- A camera's firmware cannot be returned to an earlier version once it has been updated.
To update the firmware of your camera, follow the instructions below:
- Double-click the downloaded OLYMPUS Digital Camera Updater.
- Read the terms, and then connect your digital camera to your computer using the bundled USB cable.
If the camera does not automatically power on, turn on the camera.
Your camera may display a selection menu on the LCD.
By default, the USB Connection mode for transferring images to the camera will already be selected.
Select Storage and press the camera's [OK] button to continue.
The LCD will display "One Moment." The connection is completed when the prompt disappears from the LCD.
- The selection menu for the Digital Camera Updater is displayed when the camera is connected to the computer.
Click Update Firmware to proceed.
- The updater checks via Internet if newer firmware versions are available.
Click Next to proceed.
- If newer firmware versions are available, they will be displayed in a dialog box.
To see what will be changed by applying an update, select it from the list and click Details.
To apply a selected firmware update, click Update and then, on the next screen, Yes.
(If you click No, the update will be canceled.)
If the latest firmware version is already applied, you will see the following message: "You are already using the latest firmware. There is no need to update."
- Carefully read the Software License Agreement. If you accept the terms, click Agree to proceed.
- The current settings of the camera will be saved to the computer. Click OK to start saving the camera settings to the computer, and then the new firmware will be downloaded to the computer and transferred to your camera.
After the firmware is transferred to your camera, the update starts in your camera.
Wait until the digital camera's LCD displays OK.
Do not disconnect the camera from the computer until the LCD on the camera displays OK.
The firmware update is not complete until the camera displays OK.
Disconnecting the camera before the firmware completes may render the camera inoperable.
The LCD displays as follows while updating:
The Digital Camera Updater displays as follows:
The firmware update is completed when the digital camera's LCD displays OK.
Leave the USB cable connected to the camera and computer, and turn the camera to Off, and then to On again.
The camera settings, saved in step 7, are reloaded to the camera.
Select the check boxes in the Digital Camera Updater display ("Confirmed that update is complete.", "Camera has been turned off and back on again."), and then click Next (*). The camera settings are reloaded from the computer to the camera.
* Next can be clicked after the two check boxes are selected.
Firmware update is complete. Click Close to close the Digital Camera Updater.